Saturday, July 14, 2007

Random Thoughts On History

I've always been a fan of movies about historical events and people. In fact, this seems to be how I've learned most of my history knowledge. Unfortunately I retained very little about this subject matter while in school, mainly I think because of how it was taught. Most history lessons were just monotonous drills of reading a chapter and answering questions about it at the end. Oh and of course there was the forced memorization of dates that would soon be forgotten as soon as the test was over. I don't think there could have been a better way to turn off my interest in the matter. Aside from being insanely dull, these types of lessons failed to relay any sort of human emotion or anything that would make me feel connected enough to care about what was being taught. I know that there are plenty of great history teachers out there who make learning exciting, I just never really had the fortune of having one. Consider yourself lucky if you did. Well now that I'm done ranting about that let's get back to the whole thing about the movies. I recently watched Bobby (about the assasination of Robert Kennedy and the impact his life had on our country). I heard his "mindless menace of violence" speech for the first time in this film. It's a powerful one that everyone should listen to as it clearly applies just as much today as it did in 1968 (you can watch it here on UTube).

Aubrey Update... She slept in her own room for the first time last night as she has almost outgrown her bassinet. Of course I woke up every couple of hours to make sure the baby monitor was working. She's also been smiling A LOT and starting to giggle a little. Oh and she thinks her musical crib mobile is the greatest thing.

No comments: